Thursday, January 29, 2009

Transfiguration




This coming Sunday is the Transfiguration of our Lord in the historic one year lectionary. In the Transfiguration God shows that Jesus is his true and only Son and points to his great redemptive work - the exodus to come at the cross. God speaks directly to the disciples "Listen to him." The church is born and lives through all eternity by hearing the voice of her shepherd. The Transfiguration shows that all Scripture testifies to the person of the Lord Jesus Christ, "I will tell of the decree of the Lord: He said to me, "You are my son; today I have begotten you" (ps. 2:7). And our Lord himself who declares, "You search the scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that testify on my behalf. Yet you refuse to come to me to have life" (Jn. 5:39-40). The life of Christian is being continually brought to Jesus by the Holy Spirit to receive his gifts. I have written much more about the Transfiguration here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.